Systems Modeling Language (SysML) has been applied in the past years to a variety of software and systems engineering projects, by hundreds of researchers, engineers, and other systems and software professionals. Thus, it is expected that all this experience has been described in research articles. Therefore, we propose a survey describing what practitioners and researchers think about this modeling language, the actual use of SysML, and how SysML is used in the software and system engineering life cycle. This article describes a survey on SysML, answering questions such as the most used diagrams for each phase of the development of a system, the most common domains, and other data about the participants. The survey was answered by 343 participants from 38 countries, mostly systems engineers, software and systems architects, and researchers. Industry and academia can use our results (i) for assisting researchers and engineers to select appropriate diagrams for each software and systems development phase, (ii) for a better understanding of which industry domains SysML is most commonly applied, (iii) as a reference for identifying which types of systems are modeled with SysML, (iv) for knowing which software tools are most used, and (v) which other modeling languages are most commonly integrated with SysML for software and systems development.
DATA AVAILABILITY STATEMENT
The data that support the findings of this study are available from the corresponding author upon reasonable request.
- 1 OMG. OMG Systems Modeling Language (OMG SysML), Version 1.6. 2019.
- 2. Using UML for modeling complex real-time systems. In: F Mueller, A Bestavros, eds. Languages, Compilers, and Tools for Embedded Systems, ACM SIGPLAN Workshop LCTES'98, Montreal, Canada, June 1998, Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol 1474. Springer; 1998: 250-260.
- 3, Learning systems design with UML and patterns. IEEE Trans Educ. 2000; 43(4): 372-376.
- 4, , , , . Describing software architecture with UML. In: HA Müller, MJ Harrold, W Schäfer, eds. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE 2001, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 12-19 May 2001. IEEE Computer Society; 2001: 777.
- 5. Lessons learned applying UML in embedded software systems designs. In: Proceedings of the Second IEEE Workshop on Software Technologies for Future Embedded and Ubiquitous Systems. 2004: 75-79.
- 6, , . Evaluating UML extensions for modeling real-time systems. In: Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE International Workshop on Object-Oriented Real-Time Dependable Systems (WORDS 2002). 2002: 271-278.
- 7 Death by UML fever. ACM Queue. 2004; 2(1): 72-80.
- 8. Comparison of UML and text based requirements engineering. In: Companion to the 19th Annual ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications, OOPSLA'04, New York, NY, USA. Association for Computing Machinery; 2004: 247-252.
- 9 UML—the good, the bad or the ugly? Perspectives from a panel of experts. Softw Syst Model. 2005; 4(1): 4-13.
- 10, , , , . A decision framework for selecting a suitable software development process. In: J Filipe, J Cordeiro, eds. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, ICEIS 2010, Vol 3, ISAS, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 8-12 June 2010. SciTePress; 2010: 34-43.
- 11 UML for systems engineering. Comput Stand Interf. 2007; 29(1): 69-81.
- 12, Model-driven user requirements specification using SysML. J Softw. 2008; 3(6): 57-68.
- 13, , , Model-based requirements specification of real-time systems with UML, SysML and MARTE. Softw Syst Model. 2018; 17(1): 343-361.
- 14, , , , , systems-of-systems modeling using a comprehensive viewpoint-based SysML profile. J Softw: Evol Process. 2018; 30(3): e1878.
- 15, , , , Automated transformation of design text ROM diagram into SysML Models. Adv Eng Inf. 2016; 30(3): 585-603.
- 16, State-of-practice survey of model-based systems engineering. Syst Eng. 2019; 22(2): 134-145.
- 17, , Bridging the gap between requirements and design: an approach based on Problem Frames and SysML. J Syst Softw. 2012; 85(3): 717-745.
- 18, Application of model-based systems engineering in small satellite conceptual design—a SysML approach. IEEE Aerosp Electron Syst Mag. 2018; 33(4): 24-34.
- 19, , , , Model-based training of manual procedures in automated production systems. Mechatronics. 2018; 55: 212-223.
- 20, , . Application of an extended SysML requirements diagram to model real-time control systems. In: B Murgante, S Misra, M Carlini, CM Torre, H-Q Nguyen, D Taniar, BO Apduhan, O Gervasi, eds. Computational Science and Its Applications —ICCSA 2013—13th International Conference, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, June 24-27, 2013, Proceedings, Part III. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol 7973. Springer; 2013: 70-81.
- 21, , , , . A structure-behavior coalescence method for integrating SysML internal block diagram with activity diagram. In: 2019 IEEE 10th Control and System Graduate Research Colloquium (ICSGRC). 2019: 142-145.
- 22, , Verifying SysML activity diagrams using formal transformation to Petri nets. Syst Eng. 2020; 23(1): 118-135.
- 23, , . Hierarchical colored petri nets for the verification of SysML designs- activity-based slicing approach. In: MR Senouci, MEY Boudaren, F Sebbak, M Mataoui, eds. Advances in Computing Systems and Applications —Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Computing Systems and Applications, CSA 2020, Algiers, Algeria, 14-15 December 2020. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems. Vol 199. Springer; 2020: 131-142.
- 24, , , , Translation rules of SysML state machine diagrams into CSP# toward formal model checking. Int J Web Inf Syst. 2014; 10: 151-169.
- 25, , , , . A SysML profile for mechanical assembly. In: IEEE International Systems Conference, SysCon 2020, Montreal, QC, Canada, 24 August–20 September, 2020. IEEE; 2020: 1-7.
- 26, , . SmartCitySysML: A SysML profile for smart cities applications. In: O Gervasi, B Murgante, S Misra, C Garau, I Blecic, D Taniar, BO Apduhan, AMAC Rocha, E Tarantino, CM Torre, Y Karaca, eds. Computational Science and Its Applications —ICCSA 2020—20th International Conference, Cagliari, Italy, 1-4 July, 2020, Proceedings, Part VI. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol 12254. Springer; 2020: 383-397.
- 27, , , , Thirteen years of SysML: a systematic mapping study. Softw Syst Model. 2020; 19(1): 111-169.
- 28, , , , SysML and UML models usage in knowledge based MDA process. Elektronika ir elektrotechnika. 2015; 21(2): 50-57.
- 29, , User requirements modeling and analysis of software-intensive systems. J Syst Softw. 2011; 84(2): 328-339.
- 30, . Static analysis techniques to verify mutual exclusion situations within SysML models. In: International SDL Forum. Springer; 2013: 91-106.
- 31, , An educational case study of using SysML and TTool for unmanned aerial vehicles design. IEEE J Miniaturization Air and Space Syst. 2020; 1(2): 117-129.
- 32, , , , , SysML-based Compositional verification and safety analysis for safety-critical cyber-physical systems. Connect Sci. 2022; 34(1): 911-941.
- 33, . SysML executable model of an energy-efficient house and trade-off analysis. In: 2018 IEEE International Systems Engineering Symposium (ISSE). 2018: 1-8.
- 34, , , , , Employing SysML to model and explore levels-of-service: the case of passenger comfort in railway transportation systems. Syst Eng. 2020; 23(1): 82-99.
- 35, , , . Integrated description of functional and non-functional requirements for automotive systems design using SysML. In: 2017 7th IEEE International Conference on System Engineering and Technology (ICSET). 2017: 27-31.
- 36, , , et al. Modeling mechanical functional architectures in SysML. In: Proceedings of the 23rd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems, MODELS'20. New York, NY, USA. Association for Computing Machinery; 2020: 79-89.
- 37, . A qualitative study on SysML based on perceived views from industry professionals. In: O Gervasi, B Murgante, S Misra, C Garau, I Blecic, D Taniar, BO Apduhan, AMAC Rocha, E Tarantino, CM Torre, eds. Computational Science and Its Applications—2021—21st International Conference, Cagliari, Italy, September 13-16, 2021, Proceedings, Part IX. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Vol 12957. Springer; 2021: 299-310.
- 38, A survey on the practical use of UML for different software architecture viewpoints. Inf Softw Technol. 2020; 121: 106275.
- 39, , , , What industry needs from architectural languages: a survey. IEEE Trans Softw Eng. 2013; 39(6): 869-891.
- 40, . Sampling in software engineering research: a critical review and guidelines. Empir Softw Eng. 2022; 27(4): 94.
- 41, , , , , . Insights in students' problems during UML modeling. In: 2020 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON). 2020: 592-600.
- 42, , An industrial case study on the use of UML in software maintenance and its perceived benefits and hurdles. Empir Softw Eng. 2018; 23(6): 3281-3345.